Sunday 25 March 2012

Following the Rules

When we told people we were moving to Singapore, one of the first things we heard as jokes from friends was "don't take any chewing gum......".   The fact is, a total ban on the import and / or sale of chewing gum was enacted in Singapore in 1992, apparently an attempt to reduce maintenance and cleaning costs throughout the city.  Since being here, I've realized that the "gum law" is just one of many seemingly crazy and overboard laws in Singapore.   Don't worry Mom and Dad - I know this because there are signs everywhere.....I haven't been arrested.......yet.

In addition to the gum laws, it's also illegal to bungee jump, walk around your own home nude, or smoke in public places.   You definitely are not permitted to do all three at the same time - but that's just common sense........  Ouch!

My personal favorites.....you are not permitted to pee in a public elevator, and you can be fined if you use a public toilet, but don't flush it.  I'm not quite sure who "polices" these last two, but whatever.

While most of these laws are things you don't need to worry about, it is evident everywhere you go just how serious Singapore is about its laws.  For example, before you even get off the plane in Singapore, the front of your immigration card informs you, in big, bold letters, "IMPORT OF DRUGS IS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH."

As bizarre as some of the lesser laws are, what I've found most unique are the hefty fines for what would seem to be relatively minor infractions.   But, hey, with a population of about 4 Million, it is one of the safest and cleanest cities in the world, so maybe they're on to something.

For this week's update, I thought I would share some of my favorite signs from around town, hoping to give you some idea of what I'm talking about.  And for anyone who decides to visit us, these are some things "not to do" unless you're looking for a really expensive vacation.

The first set of signs below are pretty typical.  The littering sign and the grouping of four on the right are seen pretty much everywhere, in partcular in and around the MRT (subway) stations.  There are also television campaigns that highlight the importance of not littering.  One of my favorites of these commercials is one where a family talks about how proud they are of their son, his education, his girlfriend, etc. - then they break down in tears as he walks out of the house in a litter clean-up bib.......in addition to fines, if you are caught littering 3 times, you must works for several weekends cleaning litter throughout the country.

The one in the middle makes me laugh.  The fact that I've seen this sign in more than one location is humorous to me. How often do you need to be reminded not to go to the bathroom on the side of a building or in a stairwell or elevator?  Truth is, I think this sign is a form of entrapment, because every time I see it, I'm reminded that I have to go.......


Here are two more than make me laugh when I see them.  The first I see every day on the bus.  The first 3 symbols from left to right are pretty standard.....pay your bus fare, don't smoke, and don't vandalize the bus.  The fourth is the one that makes me laugh.  I'll admit, there have been multiple times I've sprinted to catch a bus in the sweltering heat and humidity, only to have the door shut and the bus pull away seconds before I get there......as frustrating as this is however, I've yet to "assault the bus captain"? 

The last one is common when you head north in Singapore, towards the military base and some of the protected, "natural" areas.  These signs are reminiscent of what I would expect to see around Area 51.  This one is relatively plain, but I've seen others where the figure on the right appears to be fleeing while the soldier shoots him in the back!  Like I said, they take the law very seriously over here.



In addition to these, there are traffic and directional signs literally everywhere.  In my opinion, it's difficult to get lost in the city due to all the signage.  For example, bus and MRT stations are clearly marked, with signs that point out the distance and direction to the nearest one - sometimes up to 500 meters away.

Now, if they would only post signs to clarify what kind of meat is hanging in the store window at the local Hawker Center I'd be set.  Until then, I'll keep eating whatever it is because it tastes good!  Speaking of which, for my next update, I'll venture into the some local wet markets and hawker centers (food courts).....and show you the fish mongers, butchers, and local food available all over the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.